We caught up with Cheeky Physique co-founder, Lucy Splichal, to ask her 10 questions around business, love, and car karaoke. Here’s what she had to say…
1. Why did you start Cheeky Physique?
I began my career in the fashion industry, but I’ve always been a beauty junkie. I noticed that there were tons of innovative products for the face and hair, but not very many for the body. When I moved to San Diego, I had the chance to start something new and decided to launch my own brand of results-driven body care products.
2. What were/are your biggest challenges when starting a business?
The biggest challenge of starting a business is juggling a million priorities and managing tons of costs. We’re self-funded, so that means we have to be extra resourceful and creative in growing our business.
3. What’s a typical day like for you?
I start each day with an iced coffee and my journal – planning, setting intentions, and meditating. At Cheeky Physique, I oversee branding, marketing, and product development. I spend most of my day coordinating with vendors and working with our marketing and production teams. It’s a never-ending stream of emails and phone calls and I’m often amazed at the way things come together to meet a deadline or deliver a big order. To unwind at the end of the day, I’ll go for a walk, take a hot shower, and have the occasional glass of wine.
4. Cheeky Physique promotes a healthy lifestyle that goes hand-in-hand with their products – what’s your mantra for living those values?
It’s all about balance! I love my champagne as much as my green juice. I believe in taking great care of yourself and your health, but it’s ok to indulge a little, too.
5. What is your proudest business moment?
Winning a 2017 Trendsetter Award at the Cosmoprof North America trade show. There were over 1,400 exhibitors at the show, so it was a huge honor to be one of the few brands to receive this award.
6. Do you have any tips for budding entrepreneurs?
You must have patience and persistence. We all want to be an overnight success, but the truth is that it’s going to take longer and be more difficult than you realize.
7. How did you meet your co-founder and fiancé, Jesse?
We met at a Halloween party in Brooklyn. He was wearing a mask and face paint, so I didn’t see what he looked like until our first date. Luckily, he was cute.
8. What did you have for breakfast?
I had a glass of green juice – but only after my iced coffee!
9. What song do you sing when you’re alone in your car?
I can’t help but sing along to La Vida Es Un Carnaval by Celia Cruz.
10. Do you have a favorite Cheeky product? C’mon you can tell us…